(March 23, 3 p.m.) The Center for Produce Safety at the University of California-Davis and the California Leafy Greens Research Program has awarded seven projects to examine food safety risks and leafy green production.
The two groups awarded more than $500,000 on March 23. The grants represent the center’s first collaborations under its “Partners in Research” program, which is co‐developed and co‐funded with the produce industry to address research priorities of specific commodities and growing regions, according to a news release.
Projects will be funded from April 1 to March 31, 2010. The following scientists received awards:
- Maria Marco, University of California-Davis;
- Astri Wayadande, Oklahoma State University;
- Bruce Hoar, University of California-Davis;
- Yaguang Luo, U.S. Department of Agriculture;
- Gitta Coaker, University of California-Davis;
- Linda Harris, University of California-Davis; and
- Trevor Suslow, University of California-Davis.
The California Leafy Greens Research Program was founded in March of 2008 to replace the California Lettuce Research Board.