(Dec. 5, 1:40 p.m.) The U.S. Defense Logistics Agency awarded produce wholesalers nearly $31.7 million in November to supply fresh fruit and vegetables to the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps.
The companies, and the maximum amounts awarded through the contracts, are:
- Foster-Caviness Co. Inc., Colfax, N.C., $14.1 million;
- Produce Source Partners, Newport News, Va., $10.3 million; and
- East Coast Fruit Co. Inc., Savannah, Ga., $7.2 million.
The companies had existing contracts with the Defense Logistics Agency, which oversees the feeding programs. Those contracts expired in October. The new contracts expire May 29, 2010, according to a U.S. Department of Defense Web site. The contracts are handled by the Defense Supply Center, Philadelphia.
Nine other contracts with seven produce suppliers are still valid until 2009:
- Adams Bros. Produce Co. Inc., Birmingham, Ala. (two contracts), $18.4 million;
- Coast Produce Co., Los Angeles, (two contracts), $14.7 million;
- Frank Gargiulo & Son Inc., Hillside, N.J., $14.4 million;
- Fox River Foods Inc., Montgomery, Ill., $6 million;
- JC Produce, West Sacramento, Calif., $10.7 million;
- Roby’s Country Gardens Inc., Bardstown, Ky., $8 million; and
- The Produce Connection, Miami, $10 million.