Potato growers can now receive text messages alerting them to the presence of potato early and late blight, thanks to Syngenta Crop Protection.
The Greensboro, N.C., firm's Revus Top fungicide sponsors university potato blight hotlines in Idaho, Michigan, North Dakota, Oregon and Washington, according to a news release.
In the past, growers were able to call into toll-free hotlines or logged onto websites to learn the latest on the two potato diseases and associated weather conditions, disease control measures and infection confirmations.
The hotlines are managed by university and research experts in each participating state.
This year, the hotlines have added the text messaging option.
The hotlines will start in May.
See related story:
Don't confuse potato early blight with brown leaf spot
Below is each university's toll-free blight hotline and text access instructions:
• University of Idaho: (800) 791-7195; text BLIGHTID to 97063 for alerts;
• Michigan State University: (888) 379-9012; text BLIGHTMI to 97063 for alerts;
• North Dakota State University: (888) 482-7286; text BLIGHTND to 97063 for alerts;
• Oregon State University: (800) 705-3377; text BLIGHTOR to 97063 for alerts; and
• Washington State University: (800) 984-7400; text BLIGHTWA to 97063 for alerts.