TK: Rumors of swine flu are already swirling. United issues a statement to present the facts:
DearUnited Fresh Members,
In response to recent member questions surrounding the outbreak of human-communicable swine influenza A, United Fresh has been in communication with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as well as other government agencies as we work to bring you the most current information on the situation.
Please review the following information from CDC regarding the swine flu situation as of today, April 27:
- There is NO INDICATION that the disease is spread by food, including fresh fruits and vegetables.
- All points of entry between the U.S. and Mexico are currently open. Reports of closures are unfounded.
- Charles E. Johnson, Acting Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, has declared a public health emergency, however the situation is NOT considered to be a pandemic.
- Mexico is reporting 149 deaths and over 2000 cases, however there are only 40 reported cases in five states (CA, TX, OH, KS, NY). All of the U.S. cases are considered mild, and the only current hospitalization is related to an existing condition.
- The primary manner of disease transfer appears to be contact with an infected individual, similar to “normal” flu. The primary means of preventing infection is by everyday preventive actions, such as washing hands with soap and water after touching possibly contaminated surfaces. For more preventive actions, please visit http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/habits.htm
- Several antiviral treatments appear to be effective in preventing infection or minimizing the effects of infection, but CDC is not recommending their use at this time except in special circumstances.
- CDC has recommended that individuals traveling to areas with heavy swine flu activity consider the situation.
- Additional information about swine flu is available at http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/key_facts.htm
- Regular updates are being posted at http://www.pandemicflu.gov and http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/?s_cid=swineFlu_outbreak_internal_001.
United Fresh will keep you informed as new information becomes available.
202-303-3400 ext. 417
Dr. David Gombas
202-303-3400 ext. 411
202-303-3400 ext. 425